Friday, May 25, 2007

Memorial Day...What it Means to Me...


I was born into a military family. My father is a retired Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Air Force. Both of my Grandfathers served in World War II. My husband's Grandfather was an imprisoned U.S. soldier for almost a year in a Nazi POW Camp. My brother-in-law is an active duty Sergeant in the U.S. Air Force.
I love my country fiercely and have raised my children to do the same.
We understand the risks taken when enlisting. We understand the bravery required to serve. We understand the possibility of loss of life.
I pray for our soldiers all over the world who are currently defending the security and freedom of our country and many others. I am grateful to those who stood before them and for their service and sacrifice.
God Bless America.
For those of you from other countries, Carolyn just left a very meaningful comment. We should pray for all of the soldiers regardless of country who are currently serving or have lost their lives. A Canadian soldier was just reported to have lost his life in Afghanistan today.

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

I want to extend wishes to all military families around the world.

We just lost another Canadian soldier in Afghanastan today. Deepest sympathies to his family.

C's Mom said...

What a wonderfully thoughtful post. My gratitude to the military families who have sacrificed so much.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Yes, one of our soldiers lost his life today. A thank you goes out to all the soldiers and their families. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Roy and Lori said...

A SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE
SERVING IN THE MILITARY!

OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU
AND YOUR FAMILIY!

dawn said...

WE really do need to recognise these unsung hereos.

adele and dan said...

My dad also retired from the Air Force and fought in WWII. I left a memorial to him on my blog. Memorial day was a somber day for him, seeing the hardships of war, he always prayed for the soldiers in every war after that. He was buried 1/31/07, one day before my long in date.

kerri said...

Prayers for a safe mission, safe return, back to the loving arms of family.

Mr.Brian said...

Thanks for the reminder of something we often take for granted.
We need to take a moment anfd give thanks for all who gave for our freedom and not think of it as just a day off from work.

Jewels of My Heart said...

Freedom truly isn't free and so many have and are sacrificing so much so that we may continue to be the land of the free. God bless our military and their families.

Truly Blessed said...

You said it so beautifully -- we are free today because of all of the soldiers who have defended us, including your family. Thanks so much.

Loved meeting you at dinner, let's do it again soon.

BTW, here's the link to the awesome referral video I told you about. One of Katie's precious Yangdong sisters, about to come home!

cougchick said...

My Dad is a retired LTC from the Army and my oldest brother and SIL were both Captains in the Army, other brother was a Captain and Cobra helicopter pilot in the USMC, StepDad was in the Army, the list goes on. My gratitude to all of those serving and the families waiting for them to return.